Identifying Photos

Sunday, February 6, 2022

 Maps

I find I am using maps continually while investigating family history. Where people married compared to where they were born. Adult children living in similar areas etc. 

However, many families traveled around the goldfields during the peak period. I have one of my family getting off the boat and heading to "The Ovens" where their first child was born. Other children were born in different places around Victoria. 

I have to wonder if they had had a horse and cart and a tent they were able to pop up and disassemble as they moved. Birth certificates show that the first child, my great grandmother, had been delivered without any assistance. While the second child had a possible midwife, just known as Mrs. Morcomb. Their address was the Goldmines, Waterloo. 

Each child was born in a different place and as a result I was able to map out where they followed the gold until they settled in Great Western then Stawell where they they had a business for a time. They are now buried in Stawell. 


The Walkedens travelled from Melbourne to Stanley then over to Beaufort area to Sulky Gully then back to Great Western and Stawell. 1858 to 1924. 

I believe James had already settled in Stanley before going to meet Mary Ann's ship in Melbourne. James' nephew, Thomas Glass was on the same ship as Mary Ann and went to Stanley with his uncle and aunt. He stayed there after they left. 


No comments:

Post a Comment